Friday, July 29, 2011

Modge Podge Party

Here's what you need for a little modge podge fun:

Movie, Soda and a half eaten bag of Circus Peanuts

Okay, those are the things that I need.  (Sidenote: I must stop eating circus peanuts.  I can't explain why I love them so.)  Here is what you really need:



Last week, we popped in a movie (You Again) and got to modge podging the bottoms of our newly painted white dresser in our bedroom.  Learning from my first modge podge drawer lining experience in Lucky's room, I opted to splurge on some thicker paper to get a better finish. 

I picked up 5 sheets of 27 inch x 19.5 inch wrapping paper from the Paper Source.  At a total cost of $12.50, it was more expensive than the dresser itself to this point:


This paper was really nice to work with because it was thick and because my drawer size was 13.5 inches x 17.5 inches requiring me to only fold the wrapping paper in half and cut down the fold and then remove 2 inches from the remaining sheet.  If you try this, I would caution you to double check the paper size anyway.  We ended up cutting one sheet too short because it must have been 18.5 inches wide instead of the 19.5 inches that the rest of the paper was.  Live and learn.

First, we wiped down the drawers and let them dry.  Then, I painted a thin, even coat of modge podge in each drawer and rolled my pre-cut paper into the drawer. I let it dry overnight and then did a coat of modge podge on top of the paper as well.  Here is how it turned out:



I did have bubbling again, even with the thick paper, but it wasn't nearly as bad.  The bubbling was less apparent in the sheets that had a small scale pattern.  Overall, I love the splash of color in each little drawer!

We've got a busy weekend planned, although the weather doesn't look like it wants to cooperate with our outdoor 'to do's'.  More hot and humid weather is predicted.  Perhaps we'll be focusing on our disaster of an office or maybe on Charm's room---a bigger headboard is on the agenda there.  I'm sure I'll be writing about whatever we end up doing and sharing it next week!

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment