Currently, everything that we have in Lucky's room is practical, but it's not so pretty or cohesive. I feel it's important to set a budget for myself for the space so that I don't get carried away with accessories or too expensive furniture pieces for the room. After all, we're creating this room for a toddler, and I don't want to invest much in a space that 1. may be covered in crayons at any given moment and/or 2. will probably be an ever evolving space as our Lucky girl grows and develops new interests.
We've decided to give ourselves a $200 starting budget in addition to any funds that we make by selling the current contents of her room or other rooms as I see appropriate:).
So far we've made $150 by selling the daybed/metal trundle/bunkie board (trundle not pictured) to a family member.
We've also made $25 on the floral picture that had been covered in post-its (see this post for more information on that).
I'm also contributing $50 that I made selling this braided rug (under the table) earlier this week:
I actually bought the rug at Target on clearance for $32.48 late last fall, used it for 3 months in our newly finished basement and then decided I didn't love it. It happens. I forgive myself. So I put it on Craigslist and made $17.50. I already found a replacement rug for under the blue table, and I'll have to post about the new rug soon because I love it!
Lucky's Room Budget Breakdown as of 4/15/2011:
$200 Initial Contribution
$150 Sale of Daybed and Trundle
$25 Sale of scary, floral picture
$50 Sale of braided basement rug
Here is what we plan to keep in the room:
1. Twin Mattress
2. Pink Curtains and Curtain Rod:
3. Brown Chair from Pier 1 Imports purchased on clearance last fall:
4. A couple Ikea Ringum Dot Rugs (6 of these were in Lucky's room at our old house, but I'd like to save some for Charm's big boy room too):
5. Various accessories already owned: pink picture frames, throw blankets, pillows, piggy bank, owl, orange lamp (tucked away in a closet for months now), pink bean bag (not pictured):
6. Other things that I may find around the house that will work in her new room (ie: I'm thinking a couple bulletin boards we had in our old home's playroom may reappear in her new room)
Here is what we'd like to purchase or make:
1. Twin Bed Frame
2. Twin Box Spring
3. Twin Headboard/Bed
4. New Bedding (Comforter, sheets, bed skirt)
5. Night Stand
6. Another Lamp
7. A furniture piece for toy and book storage
8. Another furniture piece just for fun
9. A desk chair for her desk built in
10. Wall art
12. A bigger rug
13. Curtain hooks that I posted about here.
Okay, after writing down our 'to get' list, I'm thinking I better get selling a few more things on Craigslist to make budget:). I'll continue to update our budget and our project list as we go. On Monday, I'll be posting our second Lucky Room Update (the first was here...I'm a little out of order)!