Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Basement Update: Oscar Stays!!

When I wrote about our basement clipboards, I mentioned that I wasn't sure whether to keep or return Oscar the Rug.  I ended up keeping him.  The green wasn't what I was expecting, but the price was right and the texture was right so I unrolled it,  and the green grew on me.  Here's how our basement looks now:

We also picked up a Hovas ottoman from IKEA.  We considered buying 2 Karlstad foot stools, but it was too busy looking for my liking with all those legs.  I like the 1 huge ottoman.  It's a little strange that it's skirted and our Karlstad sectional isn't, so I have some tweaks in mind for the ottoman. Overall though, we LOVE this ottoman.  It turns our sectional into the most comfortably huge sofa in the whole wide world.  We often push it into the corner of the sectional so that both sides are touching the couch...so awesome!




I don't believe that I've shown our TV/fireplace wall as of late, so here it is:
Down the road, we'll add some built ins on either side of the fireplace and finish the fireplace off with some stacked rocks or some molding.


For awhile, we had an old 'kid' computer on this West Elm Parsons Desk (purchased for $50 on Craigslist).  The computer broke.  The desk stayed.


This desk was finished last fall during our big garage paint-a-thon.  It was $20 from Craigslist.  I painted it with Rustoleum's oil based paint, and we cleaned up the hardware.  




The best part of our basement as of late, however, is the box that our ottoman came in:

We turned it into a school bus, and the kids can't get enough!!

Linking up to Miss Mustard Seed.
Linking up to Thrifty Decor Chick.
Linking up to Primitive and Proper.

23 comments:

  1. I for one think the Green is perfect. And my kids too loved the bus. Who knew cardboard was the "it" toy? Oh wait we all did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks C and T! Cardboard is totally where it's at:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that campaign desk! It looks great in its new color! I featured it today!!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2012/03/five-feature-friday-30.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie!! My husband risked his life to save it from the streets of Minneapolis, but I think it was worth it:)!

      Delete
  4. your desk is AMAZING!!!!! oh i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's amazing what a coat of Rustoleum's Oil Based paint can do for a piece:).

      Delete
  5. Wow I love your color combos! Glad to be following you after finding you on the TDC link up!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. That campaign desk is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obsessed with that campaign desk! Gaaaahhhh-orgeous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE that desk!!! Gorgeous! Cant believe the price! What a steal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was actually part of a two piece set that we bought for $40, so I'm saying it's $20/piece:)! I originally wrote about it here: http://sunshineontheinside.blogspot.com/2011/06/campaign-furniture-score.html

      I love your coffee table. That is seriously gorgeous! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I envy your Craigslist luck! That campaign desk is so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna! I found both desks last summer when I was checking Craigslist listings several times/day. There are definitely deals to be had, but it takes time to find them, and you have to drive to weird places and deal with weird people. Can you tell I haven't been craigslisting as of late??:)

      Delete
  10. That desk is AWESOME! I love it and the paintings on either side of the room. Did you make those? If so please point me in the direction of the post. So cute!

    I'm a new follower from Primitive and Proper. Can't wait to "get to know you!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maury, and welcome!!! The 'paintings' were actually Target clearance finds. They were $7.48 each last year. They would be super easy to recreate though in any color/s you wanted:)!

      Delete
  11. Your basement is so bright and cheerful! Everyone loves something different - I love your desk chair! Do you recall from where it came?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      Thanks! The desk chairs are from IKEA. They are the Tobias model and come in clear acrylic or grey acrylic. I think they are $80 each new (I picked mine up on Craigslist for $50 each).

      Beth

      Delete
  12. Love your basement!!! We are thinking about the Karlstad couch from Ikea, how does it wash? Is the back cover (not the cushion cover) easy to get off and wash? Have you bought a second cover set yet? Thanks, Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had it for a year and a half and have yet to wash it:). We're careful about not allowing messy food on the couch, and it's held up really, really well even though it's white, and we have two young ones, and lots of playdates:). I think we'll try to wash it this summer when we can hang the covers out to dry in the sun...if we ever get spring:)

      We did buy a second white cover shortly after purchasing the couch because we thought it would be nice to always have a clean one ready to go...that way the couch wouldn't be uncovered for a day/weekend while we washed and dried the 'dirty' cover. We also picked up a grey cover when we spotted it on clearance for about $50. I dream about switching everything up down there with the grey cover...it's just not at the top of our list right now:).

      Good luck with your couch purchase. I have no complaints about the Karlstad. It's perfect for our needs. I'll have to post an update once we tackle the big cover change and wash the current cover:).

      Delete