Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mercury Glass Pumpkin

I've been pondering creating a mercury glass pumpkin every since I received the fall Pottery Barn Catalog that had these pumpkins on the cover:


I found this great tutorial online for making DIY mercury glass, and I went to work with these products:
The glass pumpkin was a garage sale purchase for $1 (I believe the same exact one is available at Target for $4.99 currently).  The Krylon looking glass spray paint is fantastic, but expensive.  I found it at Michael's in the glass paint area for $11.99, but a 50% off coupon brought the cost down to $6.  The silver, black and gold paints were about $1 each with coupons at Joann's.  

I followed the tutorial from Lovely Little Details exactly, and my here is my end result:
The spray paint goes on the inside of the glass, so the mirror effect shines through.  I did spray it on the exterior of the pumpkin stem, however.  




Total cost for the project was $10, which was cheaper than the Pottery Barn version, for sure.  Especially considering that I have lots of leftover supplies for future mercury glass projects!

2 comments:

  1. Super cute! I love that spray paint. However, you might want to use a clear sealer on the stem. I sprayed the outside of some votives in experimentation and the paint rubbed off from handling. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to do that!

    ReplyDelete