Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Let's Talk Tree Skirts

When it comes to tree skirts there are lots of options to choose from, the most obvious being pre-made versions like this one:
Tussah Hennah/Presto Ruby Reversible Holiday Tree Skirt


And this one:
Etsy Felt Tree Skirt


There are also a few great DIY tree skirt options:





My favorite option this year, however, are multipurpose tree skirts....you know the tree skirts that can have alternate functions in a home when a Christmas tree isn't on display.  Here are a couple examples:

Ryan Lion Faux Fur Throw
(Target sells similar throws that are on sale for $23 in store this week.  Check the weekly ad for more information and color options.)


Young House Love


As for me, I used some of the raw houndstooth fabric that I purchased this summer on the cheap for under $3/yard:



And simply wrapped it around the tree, folding over the unhemmed edges.  


I think it looks wonderful and it cost me nothing since I had the fabric on hand already!  And should I use this fabric up on other projects by the time next Christmas rolls around, I'll figure out a new tree skirt solution at that time!  

(Side note: The baskets under the tree are full of our Christmas toys (Santa and Nativity sets) that we bring out every December and put away in early January.  It's a great storage solution for them since they are visible, but separate from the year round toys in our house.)

Here are more recent pictures from our front room:

Our Christmas tree has no 'theme' this year.  We just filled it with all of our favorite ornaments collected over the years.  It's an eclectic tree, for sure, and the kids had a blast decorating it, and they love looking at it every day!


















We even worked my Grandma's music playing snowman into the decor.  The kiddos love him...so do I!:)





The cowhide rug is fun, but it may be getting returned.  I'm really leaning more towards Crate & Barrel's Olin Rug for the space, but we'll see:)!  The house is certainly feeling festive!  

Linking up to Thrifty Decor Chick.

7 comments:

  1. Very pretty. And once again I find myself back at your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no - I think that rug looks awesome!!

    Oops - I was supposed to be talking about your tree....it looks good too :) I'm gonna be on the look out for cheap houndstooth now...

    P.S Loving your ornament advent too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Rebecca! I'm so torn about the rug. It's been folded up in our office for a couple weeks now. I love the look of cowhide, but I like the idea of a big striped rug in there as well. Totally undecided at the moment, but I'll need to decide soon!! For some reason I see a dark brown cowhide being more versatile in our home, while the black and white one would only really look good in that front room. Sigh. Rug drama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is GORGEOUS!! I spot a swarovski ornament. I have a bunch of these and really hope to get ideas so that they sparkle to their full glory!

    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the houndstooth Christmas tree skirt!! So Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, what a nice post, I love that faux sheep skin christmas tree skirt, how i love to get that for our tree :)

    Regards
    Anne Walker
    Christmas tree ideas

    ReplyDelete