Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Spreading Some Sunshine

Happy November!  I can hardly believe that the holiday season is upon us.  This year continues to fly by.  It's been an interesting year for me and my family.  There have been sorrowful times and joyful times and introspective times.  At the end of each day, I can't help but feel so grateful for a wonderful family and wonderful friends who fill my life with love and happiness.

I recently came across this quotation by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (American Author, Poet and Psychologist) that was brought to my attention by a friend's blog and the book, The Gift of An Ordinary Day by Katrina Kenison:

"Anything you do from the soulful self will help lighten the burdens of the world. Anything. You have no idea what the smallest word, the tiniest generosity can cause to be set in motion. Be outrageous in forgiving. Be dramatic in reconciling. Mistakes? Back up and make them as right as you can, then move on. Be off the charts in kindness. In whatever you are called to, strive to be devoted to it in all aspects large and small. Fall short? Try again. Mastery is made in increments, not in leaps. Be brave, be fierce, be visionary. Mend the parts of the world that are within your reach. To strive to live this way is the most dramatic gift you can ever give to the world."  

Life is journey, and we're on all this journey together.  It's amazing to think what an impact a short note or a small gift might have on anothers day.  I love surprises, but what I love more is giving surprises!  If I can make someones day with a handwritten note or a small gift, I want to do it!!  So with that in mind, I'd like to initiate a challenge of sorts to begin in this month that focuses on giving thanks for all that we have and all that we hold dear.  At least once a week, I want to take a moment and 'Spread the Sunshine' outside of my immediate family.  It may be a phone call or short note.  It may be a small surprise gift.  It doesn't matter what 'it' is.  I truly cherish every 'ordinary day' that I live, but what better way to make an ordinary day extraordinary than to give onto others!

Aside from calls and notes, here are a couple surprise examples from last month:

Dollar Store Decor for a Family Member who liked my crows:)


Nemo Swimming Toy on super clearance (from Target:)) for a friend's Nemo Loving Daughter

I love that I can use my deal shopping skills to benefit others!  Also, I'll be on the constant look out for thrifty and thoughtful gifts!  (It's a perfect time of year to have inexpensive, yet thoughtful gifts on the mind!)  If you have any ideas you'd like to pass my way, leave a comment!

As for my self challenge, I plan to write monthly posts about 'Project Sunshine" as I go...stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Im glad my post could help inspire some "Sunshine" in the world. We need it now a days. Now only if I could remember her words each day, especially the stressful ones!

    Loving the blog Bethmeister!

    ps....thx for the blog plug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just love, the word, "sunshine". the word itself always brightens up my day. thank u for the inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! And thank you for taking the time to comment!:)

    ReplyDelete