Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What's Going On Around Here?

I feel like my posting as of late has been very scarce to say the least.  I can tell you that we haven't been sitting around twiddling our thumbs.  Not at all.  We've been making some changes and updates.  And those changes take time.  And since time is limited, I haven't been able to find the time to write up posts.  I'm still taking pictures like crazy, but the writing of posts has fallen off the docket as of late.

(Also, I've been struggling with a new computer that I'd like to throw out the window most days.  Bill is quite computer savvy, and I know a thing or two about blogger, but we can't find a solution to speed up my browser to make writing posts and uploading pictures an enjoyable and easy process.  I'm fearing the solution will be finding a new computer...which won't be cheap and is frustrating to think about because my current computer is new.  Seriously though, my last 'guest room' post took me at least 2 hours of agonizing computer restarts and error screens to complete.  Normally, it would take me about 30 minutes.  It's making me avoid post writing=not good.  We'll figure out a solution over time, I'm sure, but in the meantime every post is a frustrating battle.)

Okay, back to the changes.  The biggest change is in our diet.  I read Clean by Dr. Alejandro Junger, and have been completely motivated to 'clean up' our diet.  It's been a challenging food adventure to say the least.  I've begun shopping at a local food cooperative.  I'm trying to keep our fridge stocked with local and organic ingredients.  I'm spending time finding meals that require way more time to prepare and clean up than we are used to doing.  Sometimes the meals are hits.  Sometimes they are misses.  Bill and I feel like professional chefs with our ingredients spread on the counter before beginning a big meal.  We are making changes slowly as we are able, but I can already tell a difference in how I feel and in how my clothes fit.  I can also tell a difference in my food cravings....I actually am craving healthier foods.  I recently picked up this new cook book by Gwyneth Paltrow:



I'm enjoying looking through it and have already added this amazing product to our refrigerator:

Thanks for the introduction to Vegenaise, Gywneth!!  It's better than mayo:)!!  

I'm also enjoying my favorite food website Eating Well.  I'm telling you, we are well on our way to eating more thoughtfully and preparing the foods that our bodies need to work properly, the way nature intended!!  One of our goals is to dramatically decrease the number of processed foods we consume.  As in, I'd love to replace store bought chicken nuggets (a staple in this household...we currently use Perdue's Simply Smart Gluten Free Chicken Tenders) with big batches of homemade chicken tenders using organic chicken and our own crust recipe.  I'd love to replace our packets of instant oatmeal with our own homemade oatmeal.  I could go on and on with examples.  All of these changes will take time and require lots of trial and error. Every week we are learning more and changing more.  It is truly exciting.  I'm especially excited for Lucky and Charm, as the eating habits we reinforce in them now are more likely to stay with them throughout their lives!!

Another change is that I'm taking more interest in my wardrobe and our family's wardrobe as a whole.  Not that I'm hoping to become a trend setter or anything, but wearing nice clothes and well thought out outfits make me feel better.  Having children that are well dressed makes them feel better too:).  I've gone in streaks when it comes to clothes shopping.  I'll get into shopping for a couple weeks, buy lots of clothes and then want nothing to do with clothes shopping for a long, long while.  I want to keep up with my wardrobe better.  It takes time to learn what size you wear from which manufacturer, which company's jeans fit you best, what stores carry your 'style'...especially when you've been out of the clothes loop for years.  Time consuming as it may be, I've made the mental decision that it's important to put the time in because of the benefits to my overall well being.  When you feel good about how you look, you feel better overall!!  I am having a blast coming up with my 'wish list' items for my spring and summer wardrobe.





Bill is super supportive on this front, which I love!!  He knows spring and summer wear can be stressful for me since I've been avoiding the sun like the plague ever since my melanoma in situ diagnosis last year.  I feel more on top of my clothing style now than I have in a long, long time!  Now if only spring would arrive, so I could stop wearing my old winter gear, much of which is quite literally falling apart from 7 months straight of wear:)...think broken winter coat zipper, worn out boots, and mitten 'blow outs'.

Also, we've been doing our annual spring cleaning this year to prepare for our garage sale.  Our sun porch has been cleaned out and it's like a new addition to our home!  The kids LOVE playing out there.  Again, once we consistently get out of 30 degree high temperatures, we'll be able to enjoy the space even more:).  It no longer looks like this:):



I've also decided that part of the garage sale will be my own 'store' of sorts.  We've been working on making lots of items to sell at my shop, and we're having a fantastic time doing this as well.  It's time consuming, but I love it!!  So far I've made lots of crayons, some organic lavender eye pillows and felt fire pits.



And then there are all the normal projects we like to tackle.  Our office is getting close to completion.  I can't wait to share the space with you.  Lucky's room is going to be almost totally redone.  Our front room will be redone before the fall as well.  Our great room is waiting on a new rug.  And then there are a few things we need to do in our guest room:).  And did I mention it's spring, and we can spray paint soon?  And I'll finally have a working space in the garage instead of a freezer:).




My posts will be infrequent in the coming weeks leading up to our garage sale, but as you can see...I'll have lots to blog about in the months to come.

I hope you all have a lovely Spring!!  I'll be back soon:)!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the timely info. In CT we are already looking at some of these items. Air filters were not on our list. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kondisi ini tentu tidak diinginkan oleh para penggemar taruhan bola. Solusi tepat adalah memainkannya secara online.canapé de jardin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.free prepaid credit cards

    ReplyDelete
  4. This kind of support provides some massive moderns pleasant information regarding this change. Abet an individual pertaining to expressing that within an diaphanous to say in addition clear meaning. Verify pertaining to expressing this insolent information.tuxedo bow ties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent article written, I am very impress by this fabulous and well manage post. Appreciate your work and bookmark this site as refrence. I will visit again soon for more interesting and educational post like this. Thanks for sharing this with us.refinance home equity loan calculator

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this great post. Download nova launcher beta version app from: nova launcher prime latest

    ReplyDelete